Saturday, July 19, 2014

Check back in a jiffy -- Daily Easy English Expression 0021



Today we’ve a great expression and expression is ‘check back in a jiffy. The key expression is ‘in a jiffy’. Another
expression: I’ll be with you in a jiffy. Another expression: In a jiffy, it will be my birthday. What does ‘in a jiffy’ mean?  Very quickly, in a minute, in a second, within ten seconds, super ultra fast, I will be with you; I will talk to you; I will help you; I will finish.

                So what does ‘check back in a jiffy’ mean? The situation is, you have come to get something but they are not ready yet and they say to you “check back in a jiffy”. So you’re waiting for something but it’s not ready. When will it be ready? Check back in a jiffy. Come back quickly. Go and then come back in very soon. Whatever you want, will be ready.



Dialogue:

Hi, are my copies done?

Not yet. Check back in a jiffy.

All right. I’ll go get latte and come back.

They’ll be done for you.



So this person went to make photocopies and they left it. “Can I have hundred copies?”

“Sure”. And they left and then come back.

“Hi, are my copies done?”

“Not yet. Check back in a jiffy.”



Do you understand? I hope that’ll help you. That’s today’s expression.
In a jiffy  کا مطلب ہے  بہت جلد، چند لمحوں میں، دو منٹ میں، ایک سیکنڈ میں۔ مثال کے طور پر آپ اپنی کوئی چیز تیار ہونے کے لئے چھوڑ جاتے ہیں اور جب دوبارہ آتے ہیں اور وہ چیز ابھی تیار نہیں ہوتی۔ اور وہ آپ کو کہتا ہے کہ صرف دو منٹ اور لگیں گے اور آپ کی چیز آپ کے ہاتھوں میں ہو گی۔یہ تھی ساری صورتحال ، اور اس موقعے پر وہ دوکاندار یا شخص آپ سے یہ کہے گا۔ “ check back in a jiffy”
اس دفعہ کے ڈائلاگ میں بھی کچھ ایسی ہی سیچویشن ہے جس میں میں ایک شخص ایک فوٹو کاپی کی دوکان پر جاتا ہے اور مثال کے طور پر ایک سو فوٹو کاپی کا کہتا ہے اور چلا جاتا ہے اور تھوڑی دیر بعد جب وہ واپس آتا ہے  تو فوٹو کاپی ابھی تیار نہیں ہوتی تو دوکاندار اس سے کہتا ہے کہ صرف ایک منٹ اور لگے گا اور یہ بات کہنے کے لئے وہ اوپر دیا گیا ایکسپریشن استعمال کرتا ہے۔ 


No comments:

Post a Comment