Thursday, May 28, 2015

English idioms and phrases - idiomatic expressions # 12 - Pick your poison



Hay everyone. I am Muhammad Nabeel. Welcome to the English idioms and phrases lesson. Today we’ve a great and useful idiomatic expression ‘pick your poison’.
Actually this expression use to
choose your alcohol. So you are at alcohol bar and looking at the Manu and the said to you ‘pick your poison.’ ‘Oh I will have tickeela.’ ‘I will have cock.’
Not just in alcohol, we can use it in other situation too. For example: I’m going to buy a cake today. What kind of cake should I get? They have cheese cake; they have strawberry cake; they have chocolate cake. They have different type of cakes. If I eat cake is it good for me?No.
High calories, high sugar… its not good if I only eat cake. I will die. So we can say ‘pick your poison’ about dessert.  So something that is really good, really delicious, but not good for health for you. Then we use this expression.

English idioms and phrases - Pick your poison
 Let’s listen to the dialogue:
Ooh! these all look good!
Pick your poison!
Hum… I’ll have the peanut butter cookie
Good! I want the triple chocolate!

What about you? When you are going to buy a cookie/ biscuit then what kind of cookie do you like to eat? Pick your poison and leave a comments below and I’ll see you in English idioms and phrases lesson #13. Good bye.

English idioms and phrases lesson in urdu:


یہ ایکسپریشن عام طور پر شراب کو سلیکٹ کرنے کے لئے بولا جاتا ہے۔ مثال کے طور پر اگر آپ ایک شراب خانے میں جاتے ہیں اور آپ سے یوں پوچھا جائے گا۔ جس کا مطلب ہے کہ کونسی شراب آپ پییے گے۔ لیکن اس کو اور صورتحال میں بولا جا سکتا ہے مثال کے طور پر کیک، بسکٹ یا کسی ایسی مزیدار چیز جو کہ صحت کے لئے اچھی نہ ہو۔آپ کونسا کیک کھائیں گے؟ سٹرابری کیک یا چاکلیٹ کیک۔
‘pick your poison’
  

short dialogue with transcript:


Coach shane’s english expression # 22 video

 



No comments:

Post a Comment